From marathon training and fundraising to personal growth and fun, this is me going from Good to Great.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Run for Glory!

Saturday morning, I ran with Ryan, Tim, Natasha and several others in support of Ry's good friend Jeromy Gensch. He ran way too many miles in honor of his sister Glory, who just died from cancer. Together, they started a charity... http://www.racecharities.org/ - RACE stands for Raising Awareness of Cancer Early On. It was a very special day for me, because I finally got to run with the family. Especially my two brothers - who I know would do the very same thing for me as Jeromy is doing for Glory. To think that a year ago, things were so much different from now... We ran 8 miles in 87 degree humidity and heat, from 91st south and Broadway in Wichita to (as Tim calls it) OJ Simpson park, near Wichita South HS. Tash struggled with the heat. (Bet she's liking Wisconsin now, huh!?) I stayed with her the whole run and we had a good chance to talk. If only we took the same size steps, it would have been a lot easier to stay with her!

I am so proud of my family and how we are such a tight-knit unit. Spending the weekend with everyone in tight quarters at Nanny and Poppys was surprisingly fun. Its hard to be cranky in the morning when you get woken up by an adorable almost-3 year old who just wants you to come play with him.

As far as training goes, I've decided to invest in a Garmin Forerunner, and I'm pretty excited about getting this new training "tool". Today I run 4 miles (in tonight's heat!) and then 3 on Thursday, followed by a 14 mile team run on Saturday. I can't believe that I am actually going to run 14 miles. That's more than half of what I'll do on race day! I am a little bummed that I missed TNT's Silent Mile at the last team run, I bet that would have been pretty cool. Fundraising is going pretty well. Today, I need to get the Red White and Cure money to Helen. And then I might be at my halfway point. The girls and I are going to do a few other things...boot block, sell beads at a Royals/Chiefs game and get a party bus!! Should be fun ways to get $$!

No comments: